Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Fit to be Tied, A Knitting Saga, Part IV: "The sleeve. The sleeve!"


"The sleeve. The sleeve!" Frank Fry (Norman Lloyd) from Alfred Hitchcock's 'Saboteur'



Frank Fry is about to fall to a messy death from the torch of the Statue of Liberty after his sleeve, grasped by Roberts Cummings, comes loose from his jacket. Very suspenseful film making.

So why the shrieking, falling image of Frank Fry? I have got sleeves on the brain. Bad sleeves. I am having a case of Deja sleeve because I am finally reknitting the first sleeve from 'Zarah'. I ripped that puppy last night; fifteen minutes of tinking and rewinding. It's a heck of a lot faster to tink than to knit. Sigh.

I took measurement after trying the pinned up sweater/sleeve combo and made the appropriate notes for changes. The upshot is that the sleeve is (by my calculations) 18 stitches too narrow. How this happened, I don't know. The stitch count is correct for the large sized sleeve. Oh well. (grrr.)

I ripped one sleeve and left the other as a guide. I was able in a sad little way to tink to the 13th row, so that is a tiny start. The pic shows the embryonic new sleeve and the too narrow old sleeve. Since both sleeves were "complete", that means I will end up knitting them twice. I tend to knit both sleeves at once on sweaters. When I do this it usually means that the shaping ends up being uniform on both sleeves. Well, not this time. It's one sleeve, checking as I go. So I hope I won't end up a splat like Frank Fry. Wish me luck!

No comments: